The products we accept are referred to as “PaintCare Products” or “architectural paint” and they must be in containers that are no larger than 5 gallons in size. Paint must be in its original container and the container must have the original manufacturer’s printed label and a secured lid to be accepted at retail drop-off sites.
We cannot accept open or leaking cans. Prior to dropping off your paint, please review the following detailed list to find out what can be accepted.
The following products are part of the PaintCare program, have fees when purchased, and are accepted for free at drop-off sites:
- Interior and exterior architectural paints, including latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, and enamel (including textured coatings)
- Deck coatings and floor paints (including elastomeric)
- Primers, sealers and undercoaters
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes and urethanes (single component)
- Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
- Metal coatings and rust preventatives
- Field and lawn paints
Note: Containers that are leaking or empty – and containers without the original printed manufacturer’s label – are not accepted at retail drop-off sites. (Some household hazardous programs will accept handwritten labels – please call the site if you are unsure.)
For a PDF version of this information, please download “PaintCare Products vs. Non-PaintCare Products“